Who We Are
Southwest Gulf Railroad Company (SGRR) is a short line railroad company keeping local communities connected to the national rail network through America’s heartland. We provide local business customers access to the regional, national and global marketplace through low-cost and convenient transportation solutions.
Southwest Gulf Railroad Company is committed to providing value to our customers and the communities we serve by operating in a safe, reliable, and environmentally responsible manner.
Incorporated in 2003, SGRR is a subsidiary of Vulcan Materials Company, the nation’s largest producer of construction aggregates and a major producer of other construction materials. An industry leader in safety, health, and environmental stewardship, Vulcan’s coast-to-coast footprint aligns with and serves the nation’s growth centers. Through the company’s extensive logistics network, Vulcan provides materials to build and repair valuable infrastructure such as roads, bridges, residential and commercial buildings, schools, hospitals and places of worship.
In 2008, the U.S. Surface Transportation Board granted Southwest Gulf Railroad Company (SGRR) the authority to build and operate The Medina Line, a 9-mile single-track common carrier railroad near Dunlay, Texas.
The Medina Line will:
- Operate as a common carrier rail line serving customers located on or near the line.
- Strategically connect the area to North American markets by tapping into Union Pacific Railroad, the nation’s largest freight railroad connecting the West Coast to the Midwest across America’s heartland.
- Serve as a catalyst for new jobs and long-term economic opportunity in Medina County and Texas.
- Generate new tax revenues for vital government services, including road construction and maintenance, schools, and public safety.
- Provide local businesses with a low-cost and convenient connection to the regional, national and global marketplace.
- Partner with local business and economic groups as part of GoMedinaCounty.com to foster economic development and jobs.
A safe and efficient transportation link, the line’s initial anchor customer will be The Medina Quarry, an existing limestone quarry at the northern end of the line operated by SGRR parent Vulcan Materials Company.
Restoring connections to America’s communities, short line railroads provide efficient and environmentally friendly transportation services for businesses, employers and communities around the country.